Firefighters responded to a fire Wednesday morning at the home of former Morgan City Mayor Cedric LaFleur this morning at the corner of Franklin and Elm streets. Lafleur wasn't home when the fire started. A maid was cleaning the home at the time of the fire but escaped unharmed, witnesses said. The fire may have been caused by a generator, witnesses said. (The Daily Review/Zachary Fitzgerald)

Fire at former mayor's home

The home of former Morgan City Mayor Cedric LaFleur caught fire Wednesday morning, but no there were no major injuries. A generator is suspected to be the cause of the fire, according to fire department officials.

LaFleur was not at home when the fire started shortly about 9:15 a.m. at the corner of Franklin and Elm streets. The fire may have been caused by a generator at the home, Assistant Fire Chief John Price said. The generator was powering the home at the time of the fire, he said.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to a utility room, which sustained heavy damage, Price said. The rest of the home only had minor smoke damage, he said.

A maid was cleaning the home when the fire started but escaped unharmed. Employees at Central Catholic High School across the street saw smoke and called the fire department, witnesses said.

One firefighter was treated for minor injuries, Price said.

ST. MARY NOW & FRANKLIN BANNER-TRIBUNE

Franklin Banner-Tribune
P.O. Box 566, Franklin, LA 70538
Phone: 337-828-3706
Fax: 337-828-2874

Morgan City Daily Review
P.O. Box 948, Morgan City, LA 70381
Phone: 985-384-8370
Fax: 985-384-4255