Lousiana news briefs
Louisiana-Lafayette seeks extras for commercial
LAFAYETTE (AP) — The University of Louisiana at Lafayette is seeking extras for a football commercial.
KLFY-TV reports the shoot will take place at 5 p.m. Tuesday.
An extra must be at least 21 years old.
The university will need people dressed in a variety of work wear such as scrubs, business suits, and first-responder uniforms, as well as casual clothes.
Anyone interested in participating should contact Chris Welty via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your contact information, a headshot, and a photo or a description of what you would wear.
Deadline for inquiries and submissions is at 5 p.m. Friday.
Correctional officer fired, accused of rape
NATCHITOCHES (AP) — Authorities say a 28-year-old Provencal man has been fired from his position as a Natchitoches Parish Sheriff’s correctional officer after being arrested on rape and malfeasance charges.
Lindsey Webster Hoke was booked into the Natchitoches Parish Detention Center Tuesday after an investigation into a complaint filed on Friday by a female inmate.
Detective Reginald Turner says Hoke was booked with forcible rape, three counts of malfeasance in office and sexual conduct prohibited with persons in custody. No bond has been set.
Former Lafayette airport director won’t be charged
LAFAYETTE (AP) — Lafayette Parish District Attorney Mike Harson says the former aviation director at Lafayette Regional Airport will not be charged with a crime for pointing a fake gun at an engineer after a disagreement in June.
Greg Roberts, who had worked at the airport for 21 years, resigned days after a June 11 incident with the engineer, when he reportedly went to his office desk after a meeting and pulled out the fake gun used in security training.
Lafayette Airport Commission Chairman Matt Cruse, who placed Roberts on administrative leave and asked the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office to investigate the possible crime.
Jindal sets July 17 meeting with education chief
BATON ROUGE (AP) — Gov. Bobby Jindal has scheduled a July 17 meeting with Education Superintendent John White to try to negotiate a compromise in their dispute over testing tied to the Common Core education standards, the governor’s office announced Wednesday.
White was directed by the state education board last week to seek a meeting with the governor, and Jindal’s office said the governor had agreed.
But a sit-down between Jindal and White wasn’t set until The Associated Press asked for two days about the meeting date and time. Jindal spokesman Mike Reed announced next week’s meeting plan an hour after the Department of Education said no meeting was scheduled.
Jindal suspended a contract that White intended to use to buy testing material aligned with Common Core, as a way to derail use of standards the governor opposes. The Jindal administration said White’s department violated state procurement laws in moving to the Common Core-tied standardized tests without seeking competitive bids for the contract.
Despite Jindal’s opposition, lawmakers and the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education have voted to maintain Common Core in public school classrooms. White and BESE President Chas Roemer say Jindal has overstepped his legal authority and they intend to continue with Common Core.
The disagreement has stalled testing plans for the upcoming school year.
Driver killed trying
to make a U-turn on U.S. 51
AMITE (AP) — State police say a 20-year-old Amite man trying to make a U-turn on a highway died when an oncoming car struck his passenger side and shoved his car off the roadway.
Trooper Jared Sandifer says a 1-year-old child in the other vehicle who was not properly restrained suffered minor injuries in the crash.
Sandifer says Kyle A. Rigdon was southbound on U.S. 51 Wednesday when he attempted to make a U-turn and was struck by 19-year-old Adrian J. Seiber’s northbound car.
Sandifer says Rigdon was wearing his seat belt but suffered fatal injuries in the crash.
Seiber, also of Amite, suffered moderate injuries.
Sheriff: Edgard man
shot in struggle with officer
EDGARD (AP) — Police say a 49-year-old Edgard man was shot in the leg by a St. John the Baptist Parish deputy after allegedly charging at the officer while holding what appeared to be a handgun.
Sheriff Mike Tregre said deputies responded to a disturbance Wednesday after a woman called 911 to say that Kirk Bovie was allegedly high on drugs and had punched her in the face.
Tregre says Bovie fled to a wooded area and was later found in a sugarcane field holding what turned out to be a pellet gun. Tregre says deputies ordered Bovie to put down the weapon, but he refused and charged at deputies.
The sheriff says Bovie allegedly grabbed at a deputy’s gun, who then fired at Bovie twice, hitting him in the leg.
Terrebonne Parish passes tougher dog ordinance
HOUMA (AP) — The Terrebonne Parish Council has passed an ordinance to increase the penalties for owners of dangerous and vicious dogs, and the Lafourche Parish Council may consider similar legislation next month.
Included in Terrebonne’s new ordinance are an increase in the license fee from $10 to $150 plus a $150 fine for owners of dogs deemed dangerous based on new criteria. Owners of animals deemed vicious would pay a $500 fine.
Carnival inks 5-year deal
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — At least two Carnival Cruise Lines ships will continue sailing out of the Port of New Orleans year-round through 2019, according to its new five-year contract extension.
The new deal, which went into effect July 1, supersedes a three-year extension negotiated in 2013. In addition to the five-year guarantee, the pact comes with three, one-year options that could keep Carnival operating out of the port through 2022.
New Orleans currently serves as the home port for two Carnival ships — the 3,646-passenger Carnival Dream and the 2,052-passenger Carnival Elation.
Together, the two ships carry more than 400,000 passengers each year from New Orleans.
From The Associated Press.
“This is a clear demonstration of Carnival’s belief in New Orleans as one of its top home ports,”port president and CEO Gary LaGrange said.
The new deal comes a month after Royal Caribbean International announced it was ending its cruise ship service from the port next year. In April, Royal Caribbean’s 2,360-passenger Serenade of the Seas, which now docks at the Julia Street Terminal, will relocate to Europe and offer cruises to Russia and Scandinavia.