No changes to parade route despite social media gossip
Franklin’s Mardi Gras parade route is not changing, despite rumors circulating on social media sites.
David Naquin, organizer of the All Krewes Parade under Krewe of Sucrose, told the mayor and city council Tuesday that “probably the only reason I’m here is because it’s your election year, guys,” in apparent reference to the misstatements made on Facebook.
Naquin said discussions have been held about parade route changes for years, but there have been none in the past or for the upcoming event.
“We lost a Mardi Gras krewe a few years ago and we’re down to just a few left,” he said. “We’d like to make it as good as it can be.”
There had been discussion about eliminating 18-wheeler trucks from the parade due to the sharp turnaround the parade makes at the intersection of Main Street and Martin Luther King Boulevard. “We’re going to let them in again this year, but we’re looking at it, trying to make it easier,” Naquin said. “We changed the Sucrose float to make it easier, because it’s just a little too difficult for some of the bigger vehicles, and you always worry about the kids getting too close to the road.”
Naquin said parade routes would not be changed without the city’s input and permission, and with that of the police chief. “These guys are already stretched so thin on Mardi Gras I can’t imagine what we’d do if we extended the route much more.”
Permits remain $35 for all entries into the parade, and participants are already registering.
Horses, motorcycles and “inappropriate dancers” are no longer allowed, Naquin said. “We want this to be a family-oriented parade,” he said.
Rumor had spread on social media that the parade would no longer travel down Willow Street, sources say.
The parade is on March 4 at 1 p.m.