Road closures (UPDATED at 12:15 p.m.)
There are NO plans to close the U.S. 90 or La. 182 bridges at this time, according to Deidra Druilhet, DOTD spokeswoman.
Roads are not closed in St. Mary Parish yet, but reports of ice have come in for most overpasses throughout the parish.
"The Department of Transportation and Development makes the call to shut down any roadways. ... Now, many of the roadways are considered hazardous because of ice. Regardless of whether a road is physically blocked or closed, we are asking that people not travel until conditions improve," Landry said.
A single vehicle accident on U.S. 90 westbound in Franklin between the Baldwin and Franklin exits occurred just after 7 a.m. and is believed to be due to the road conditions, Landry said.
Shortly after, reports of two more crashes on U.S. 90 west on the Garden City overpass and over the Franklin Canal near Franklin exit were reported, Landry said.
The sheriff's office is advising motorists that there are reports of road blockage and reports of ice on the overpasses and bridges in the area. If you must travel, take alternate routes.
Patterson State Bank and Patterson City Hall will close at noon.
Mayor Rodney Grogan said he is closing City Hall early to ensure workers can get over overpasses to get home, Grogan said.
Berwick and Morgan City are closing their city halls at 1 p.m. as a precautionary measure due to road conditions.
All parish athletic events associated with public schools have been postponed until the weekend.
Current road closures due to Winter Weather Event
· All bridges in Allen Parish
· The John N. John overpass (US 90) in Crowley
Jefferson Davis Parish:
· All bridges in Jefferson Davis Parish
· Lake Arthur Bridge over the Merementau River on LA. 14
· All bridges in Beauregard Parish
St. Martin Parish:
· I-10 Atchafalaya Basin Bridge
West Baton Rouge Parish:
· LA 1 entrance and exit ramps from I-10 East and West
· US 190 West at LA-415 (Lobdell)
· I-10 East at LA 415
· The Billeaud Overpass in Broussard
· US 90 Westbound at Ambassador Caffery
· US 90 overpass over LA 88 near Coteau
· I-10 East and West at the Atchafalaya Basin
East Baton Rouge Parish:
I-110 North and South closed between I-10/I-110 and US 61 (Scenic Hwy.)
I-10 East between the Mississippi River Bridge and Essen on I-10
I-10 West between Highland and the Mississippi River Bridge
I-12 West between O’Neal and the I-10/I-12 Merge
I-12 East from the I-10/I-12 Split and Amite River
US 190 East Mississippi River Bridge
I-10 East and West between Mile Marker 25 to Mile Marker 34 with intermittent closures.
All bridges in Calcasieu Parish
I-210 East and West between Mile Marker 1 to Mile Marker 4 with intermittent closures
I-10 East and West from the state line to MP 3 with intermittent closures.
I-10 East at MP 27 overpass being diverted onto I-210
Traffic passing in one lane on I-10 West at MP 62 overpass.
I-10 East and West at the Calcasieu River Bridge
St. Landry Parish:
I-49 North and South is closed from US 190 (Mile Marker 20) to LA 29 (Mile Marker 40).
Boyce Bridge (LA 8)
I-49 North and South from Exit 80 to Exit 94
Jackson St. Bridge (US 165B)
Richard Thompson LA 8 Boyce Bridge
West Feliciana Parish:
LA 10 from US 61 in West Feliciana Parish to LA 10 Business in Pointe Coupee Parish. This closure includes the John James Audubon Bridge.
LA 10 East and West at Audubon Bridge
Pointe Coupee Parish:
LA 10 from LA 10 Business in Pointe Coupee Parish to US 61 in West Feliciana Parish. This closure includes the John James Audubon Bridge.
· The Lake Pontchartrain Causeway Bridge North & South
· I-12 East and West from LA 3003 (Range Avenue) to the EBR Parish Line
St. James Parish:
· LA 70 East and West at the Sunshine Bridge
· I-10 East between LA 73 and LA 641
· I-10 West between US 61 and LA 73
St. John Parish:
· I-55 Northbound at I-10 West
· LA 3213 North and South at the Veteran's Memorial Bridge
· I-55 South at US 51B
· Lake Pontchartrain Causeway Bridge South
DOTD urges motorists to use extra caution when traveling on roadways during hazardous weather conditions and stay off the roads whenever possible. It will do everything possible to keep Louisiana’s highways and interstate system open and prioritizing the maintenance and opening of routes based on traffic volumes.
During winter weather conditions, motorists should follow these five safety tips:
1. Drive slowly, carefully, and avoid driving while distracted
2. Allow for extra driving time
3. Reduce speeds when visibility is low
4. Make sure there is plenty of room between vehicles
5. Look out for black ice---a thin, transparent layer of ice accumulation that can be visually hard to detect on bridges, overpasses, off-ramps and in shady spots.
As always, DOTD reminds motorists to buckle up and refrain from drinking and driving. In addition, motorists need to be on the look-out for DOTD work vehicles applying de-icing material to area bridges and overpasses.Citizens can get the latest updates on real-time traffic and road conditions by using the 511 Traveler Information System simply by dialing 511 from their telephone and saying the route or region about which they are seeking information. Out-of-state travelers can call 1-888-ROAD-511 (1-888-762-3511). Travelers can also access this information by visiting the 511 Traveler Information Web site at www.511la.org.
Motorists can also obtain information regarding road closures by contacting DOTD’s Customer Service Center at 1-877-4LA-DOTD (1-877-452-3683). The center is open 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Additionally, motorists can utilize the new "Way to Geaux" application to receive real-time, around the clock travel alerts. The hands-free, eyes-free smartphone application can be downloaded on any iPhone or Android device by visiting either the iTunes App Store, or Google Play.