Grease fire damages house
A grease fire did extensive damage to a Patterson home at 2302 La. 182 Friday. Thirty-five firefighters fought the blaze with 21 from the Patterson Volunteer Fire Department and the rest from Centerville and Bayou Vista volunteer departments. Above, Patterson firefighter C.C. Stewart hoses down a lingering hotspot on the corner of the house.
(The Daily Review Photo by Preston Gill)
A kitchen grease fire is blamed for causing extensive damage to a Patterson home Friday afternoon.
Jordan Thomasie said she stepped outside for a few minutes while she was cooking and then noticed the fire inside her house at 2302 La. 182 West. Kim Trahan, a neighbor across the street used her cell phone to call 911 at 2:23 p.m.
Fighting back tears, Thomasie said it appeared to take 20 minutes for the fire trucks to get there.
Patterson Volunteer Fire Department Chief Sherel Martin said the arrival from the fire department was at 2:29 p.m. after being dispatched four minutes earlier.
Martin said firefighters made entry into the house through the side of the house and the roof. They also made entry into the house from the attic.
“There was total damage to the kitchen and extensive damage through the rest of the house,” Martin said. “We do not make an assessment on whether the house is totaled or not. That is up to the insurance company.”
Thomasie was relieved that no one was hurt and her dogs inside the house were uninjured as well.
The owner of the house, Debbie Arcemont, lived nearby and said she was napping when she was told by her son-in-law that the house was on fire. She said she has owned the house for many years, but thinks the house might have to be torn down after the fire.
Three fire trucks fought the blaze with 21 members of the Patterson Volunteer Fire Department and a total of 35 firefighters, Martin said. Assistance was given by firefighters from Centerville and Bayou Vista, he said.