Fire causes minimal damage to residence


A fire at a residence Wednesday afternoon on Egle Street, which was accidentally started in the living room, caused damage to a small area of the room, Mark Stephens, Morgan City Assistant Fire Chief for Fire Prevention, said.
Firefighters got the call of a fire in the 500 block of Egle Street at 4:31 p.m. and were on scene by 4:33 p.m., Stephens said. Three fire trucks and 19 personnel responded.
“Structurally, there was no damage,” Stephens said. Though the fire was contained to a small area in the living room, the entire room filled with smoke, he said.
“You can have a lot of smoke with a small amount of material,” Stephens said.
All occupants escaped the residence with one woman transported to Teche Regional Medical Center to be treated for smoke inhalation. She was subsequently released, Stephens said. The last fire truck cleared the scene at 6:05 p.m.
A smoke alarm that detected the fire early “made all the difference to that family,” Stephens said.
Stephens emphasized the importance of smoke alarms. “It’s not the flashiest and the prettiest thing in the world, but it can make a difference.”

St. Mary Now & Franklin Banner-Tribune

Franklin Banner-Tribune
P.O. Box 566, Franklin, LA 70538
Phone: 337-828-3706
Fax: 337-828-2874

Morgan City Daily Review
P.O. Box 948, Morgan City, LA 70381
Phone: 985-384-8370
Fax: 985-384-4255

Follow Us