Fire guts Arizona Street home

An electrical fire caused by complications of a window air-conditioning unit being powered by an extension cord occurred at 215 Arizona Street, Morgan City, on Wednesday. According to Chief Morris Price of the Morgan City Fire Department, the fire was reported at 11:25 a.m. and “we had a unit at the scene within a minute.”

Despite initial reports that there were still people in the house, they had all evacuated by the time firefighters arrived on the scene. Firefighters from the four responding units had the fire under control by 11:40 a.m.

“We had one firefighter injure his knee, but he should be OK by the end of the week,” Price said.

The home is owned by Wilber Granger, who was not home at the time of the fire. His daughter and granddaughter were there and evacuated.

St. Mary Now & Franklin Banner-Tribune

Franklin Banner-Tribune
P.O. Box 566, Franklin, LA 70538
Phone: 337-828-3706
Fax: 337-828-2874

Morgan City Daily Review
P.O. Box 948, Morgan City, LA 70381
Phone: 985-384-8370
Fax: 985-384-4255

Follow Us