Child may have started Cayce St. fire

A child playing with a cigarette lighter resulted in the loss of this structure at 1035 Cayce St. Tuesday, according to reports from Franklin Fire Chief Chuck Bourgeois.

The house was fully involved when firefighters arrived three minutes after the 3:57 p.m. call.

They made a rapid response search of the house after being told that a 6-year-old boy was believed to still be inside, Bourgeois said.

“It turned out that he was next door at a neighbor’s,” having ran there after catching a mattress on fire with a lighter, the chief said.

Three Franklin units and one each from Baldwin and Centerville had the fire under control in 13 minutes.

Acadiana Ambulance treated a person at the scene with a small hand laceration suffered while breaking a window in the search and rescue attempt. There were no other injuries.

Bourgeois said the Red Cross was called to provide for the needs of the five to six residents of the house.

St. Mary Now & Franklin Banner-Tribune

Franklin Banner-Tribune
P.O. Box 566, Franklin, LA 70538
Phone: 337-828-3706
Fax: 337-828-2874

Morgan City Daily Review
P.O. Box 948, Morgan City, LA 70381
Phone: 985-384-8370
Fax: 985-384-4255

Follow Us