18 escape injury during Patterson blaze

By ROBERT R. JONES III

A fire destroyed a mobile home in Patterson early Sunday morning, but the 18 people inside escaped without injury said Patterson Fire Chief Sherel Martin.

Martin said his department received a call at 2:38 a.m. and firefighters arrived on the scene five minutes later.

The residence, owned by Clayton Aucoin Sr., was engulfed in flames when the fire department arrived.

Martin said the fire started near a stove and microwave.

Berwick and Bayou Vista firefighters provided mutual aid on the fire, resulting in three pumper trucks and one support vehicle with a combined total of 25 firefighters responding to the blaze, he said.

Firefighters were on the scene until 7:30 a.m., he said.

Martin added it was good fortune that all 18 residents were able to exit the burning structure without injury.

“The owner said he was awakened by a crackling sound, the sound of the trailer burning,” he said. “Aucoin said the kitchen was burning so bad that he could not pass through it to awaken the rest of the family. He had to exit the trailer then enter through another door on the other side. I don’t know how everyone made it out.”

A report was file with Aucoin’s insurance company, but the state Fire Marshal will not investigate the blaze, he said.

St. Mary Now & Franklin Banner-Tribune

Franklin Banner-Tribune
P.O. Box 566, Franklin, LA 70538
Phone: 337-828-3706
Fax: 337-828-2874

Morgan City Daily Review
P.O. Box 948, Morgan City, LA 70381
Phone: 985-384-8370
Fax: 985-384-4255

Follow Us